On Tuesday, I’m planning on ringing in the New Year with a combination of Juicing and the Eat To LIve (ETL) Six Week Plan. I originally saw Dr. Furhman on Dr. Oz and since then, I have been intrigued. I am not looking at it as a diet. I’m considering a life change. Once I get this last 45+ lbs off, I think I can be happy juicing and following ETL for the rest of my life. That is the ultimate goal here – lose weight and get healthy. Once I achieve it, I need to have a plan to maintain it. I think this is it.
“You can’t live on processed foods and factory-made foods and expect to have normal health.” ~ Dr. Fuhrman
Today, tomorrow and Monday I’m weaning myself off of caffeine (again) and eliminating white flour and sugar (again). Why? So I don’t have a terrible withdraw headache on Tuesday! Additionally, today is my last day of eating meat for a while, although I’m not a big meat eater lately, so this is not a big deal.
From the book Eat to Live: The Amazing Nutrient-Rich Program for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss, Revised Edition, Dr. Joel Fuhrman The premise of the ETL plan is this…
UNLIMITED (eat as much as you want):
- all raw vegetables, including raw carrots (goal: 1 lb. daily)
- cooked green vegetables (goal 1 lb. daily)
- beans, legumes, bean sprouts, or *tofu (minimum 1 cup daily in total of these)
- fresh fruit (at least 4 daily).
- eggplant, mushrooms, peppers, onions, tomato and other non-starchy vegetables, cooked and raw (unlimited)
*Beans should be eaten daily; tofu should be eaten less frequently.
LIMITED (not more than one serving):
- cooked starchy vegetables OR whole grains–Maximum 1 cup per day (butternut or acorn squash, corn, sweet potato, brown rice, cooked carrots, whole grain breads*, whole grain cereals*)
- raw nuts and seeds (1 oz. or 28.5 grams a day) or 2 ounces avocado
- ground flaxseed (1 tablespoon a day)
*avoid breads and cereals as much as possible
- dairy products
- animal products
- between meal snacks
- fruit juice, dried fruits
- salt, sugar
You should read the book to fully understand the plan. I am working my way through it right now!
If anyone wants to join in and follow along, I’d love to do this with you! Some of you may want to explore juicing as well. I’m thinking about doing another juice fast sometime in February. Here’s a link to everything I know about Juicing if you are interested in learning more!